17 September 2007

Learning Experience #1: Carrot Raisin Drop Cookies

I consider myself a pretty good baker. Nearly all of my concoctions are edible - most are downright scrumptious - but alas, I am new to gluten-free baking. I don't know if it's my technique, or the recipe, that is off, but one thing's for sure: these cookies will probably end up as a pulverized ice cream topping. If they're lucky.

Maybe my expectations were unrealistic? Maybe gluten free cookies are supposed to look like dog vomit.

Anyway, I chose this recipe because I love carrots and sweet things, and I love raisins, and I love (nearly) anything that has pumpkin pie spice as an ingredient. OK, they don't taste that bad. But um, yeah.

CARROT RAISIN DROP COOKIES*
1 cup gluten-free flour mix (2 parts white rice flour, 2/3 part potato starch, 1/3 part tapioca starch)
1/2 cup soy flour
1 (rounded) tsp baking soda
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (I used 3/4 tsp cinnamon, 3/4 tsp ginger, 3/8 tsp nutmeg, and 1/8 tsp cloves)
1 cup rice polish (or crushed gluten-free cereal: I used Arrowhead Mills Rice Flakes)
1/2 cup butter
3 large eggs
1 cup corn syrup
2 cups grated carrots
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

1. In a bowl, mix together flours, baking soda, spice, and rice polish.

2. In another bowl, beat butter, eggs, and Karo with an electric mixer until blended. Mix in the carrots. Add the flour mixture. Stir until mixed, then beat until blended. Stir in raisins and nuts.

3. Spoon dough in tablespoon-sized mounds 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Bake in preheated 350° oven until cookies feel firm when touched, 12 to 14 minutes. Remove from pans and cool.





Makes about 4 dozen cookies
*Source: The Gluten-Free Gourmet: Living Well Without Wheat by Bette Hagman

I don't get it. I tried chilling the "batter" (yes, it made batter, not dough) in the freezer before baking, but it didn't make a difference at all. I don't know the chemistry of gluten-free baking or anything, but it seems to me that the recipe would have been better using sugar or brown sugar or a combination of both (at least then it may be drier!), and maybe some vanilla (and salt... hello?!) to bring the flavor up a notch. I don't know how acidic the corn syrup is, and if that's the only thing that the baking soda is reacting with to provide lift (which in this instance, let's face it, rivaled the lift of a crepe)... but I may have added baking powder as well. Ah well. Another day, another learning experience... will have to try this again sometime. Not soon.

At least the batter tasted good.

2 comments:

Glas said...

Actually the cookies tasted pretty good! I enjoyed several of them! Thanks!

Great blog!

love,
mum

Betsy said...

Aside from the chewiness, and the lack of sweetness, and the homely appearance... I guess they weren't too bad. ;) Thanks!